I don't know about you, but I love the feeling of buying all the raw materials to develop my own product. There is so much power and pride when creating your own product to your own specifications. If you have time and have some of our flavors, you're only a few ingredients away from making your own lip balms! Who doesn't want to save money on expensive lip balms...
Lip Balm Base
The beauty of this simple product is that it only contains 3 ingredients; beeswax, coconut oil and flavor oils. The rule of thumb is to use 2 parts coconut oil to 1 part beeswax, so a ratio of 2:1. However, something to keep in mind is that coconut oil does have its own scent so if you end up on using more to find a texture that you prefer, you're going to want to use more flavor.
Step by Step Process for DIY Lip Balms
- Melt beeswax but do not allow it to overheat by boiling or bubbling/simmering
- Once the beeswax is completely melted add in the coconut oil
- Allow the two materials to blend (if the combination starts to harden again, please just warm up again)
- Add your flavor from our online collections - my preference is the gone banana's food flavoring extract as it comes out tasting like a banana cream or passionfruit food flavor oil since it comes out sweet with fruity notes
- You're always welcomed to mix flavors and make your lip balms your true creation.
- The use rate depends on the flavor and if you're interested in use rates, just check out our use rate page.
- Once you've combined all three ingredients, all you have to do is allow the mixture to solidify by turning off the heat - the solidifying process should take 8-12 minutes
The best part is when you apply the lip balm to your lips you can smell the aroma of the flavor.