In this article we are going to cover everything about how to make salt water taffy.
First off, let's discuss what salt water taffy is.
What is salt water taffy?
Salt water taffy is a type of taffy that was first created in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It's a soft and chewy candy that has been around since the late 1800's.
Salt Water Fun Fact:
The recipe for salt water taffy doesn't actually require salt water for the sea! Though, it does call for salt and water in the recipe.
What is the difference between salt water taffy and regular taffy?
The difference between salt water taffy and regular taffy is the level of salt in the taffy finished product.
How to Make Salt Water Taffy
Ingredients For Salt Water Taffy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon baker's vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon flavoring, of your choice - it's possible to mix flavors too!
- 2 drops food coloring, coloring of your choice - it's possible to mix colors!
- Large pot (preferably copper)
- Copper pots can hold the heat very well
- Candy Thermometer
- Stove Top/Burner
- Heatproof Dish
- Parchment Paper
Recipe for Salt Water Taffy
- Add the sugar to a large copper pot fitted with a candy thermometer.
- Sift in the cornstarch and whisk into the sugar until well-combined.
- Add the butter, corn syrup, salt, water, bakers vanilla extract, and flavor oil of choice to the pot.
- Whisk to combine, then turn the heat to medium and cook until the mixture reaches 250°F (120°C).
- Add the food coloring and stir to combine.
- Pour the candy into a greased heatproof dish and cool until you are able to handle it, 5-10 minutes.
- Stretch the mixture out 12 inches and fold it over itself again and again for 10-15 minutes. The taffy will turn from translucent to opaque.
- When the taffy becomes harder to pull, roll it to about a 30-inch (76-cm) long and 1-inch (2-cm) thick log on a greased surface. Cut the log in half. Then slice the taffy into bite-size chunks.
- Wrap each piece of taffy in a square of parchment paper and twist the ends to seal. Homemade candy :-)
Why do we Pull Salt Water Taffy?
What are the top 10 most popular salt water taffy flavors?
- Cotton Candy.
If you're a big DIY'er like most of Dolce Foglia's customers then you can find each of these candy flavoring oils on our amazon listing.
In conclusion, we can see that making your own salt water taffy candy isn't the toughest job. However, if there is any confusion or questions, please leave a comment below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you :)
Did we answer all of your questions about how to use Dolce Foglia flavoring in salt water taffy?