In this article we will be covering three common mistakes made when using Dolce Foglia flavors. We share this with you in hopes of making your life easier and sweeter.
1. AVOID OVER USAGE OF FLAVORINGS!
What is a use rate?
A use rate is an easy to use percentage that helps scale up or scale down a formula/recipe.
Let's say your making a batch of hard candies and you have the following ingredients with the corresponding use rates. So if all your ingredients for the batch that you're making weighs 100 grams and the flavors use rate is 0.5% than you'd multiply
Total weight of product, 100 Grams
Flavor use rate - 0.5%
100 gm X 0.50 % = 0.50 grams of flavor
For this particular example you'd use 0.50 grams of flavor in your batch
- So in order to correctly use your flavor, we suggest finding out the total grams to be used in your product and multiply it by the flavors use rate.
- Most flavors have varying use rates.
Dolce Foglia Suggested Range Of Use Rates in Candies:
- Apple - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Banana - 0.40 - 0.60%
- Blood Orange - 0.20 - 0.40%
- Blueberry - 0.03 - 0.05%
- Cherry - 0.20 - 0.40%
- Ginger - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Grape - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Habanero - 0.20 - 0.30%
- Lemon - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Lime - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Lavender - 0.10 - 0.20%
- Mango - 0.04 - 0.10%
- Orange Cream - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Passion Fruit - 0.04 - 0.07%
- Peach - 0.40 - 0.60%
- Pineapple - 0.40 - 0.60%
- Raspberry - 0.50 - 0.70%
- Strawberry - 0.50 - 0.70%
- Peppermint - 0.10 - 0.30%
- Tangerine - 0.30 - 0.50%
- Tropical Punch - 0.10 - 0.20%
- Vanilla - 0.50 - 1%
- Watermelon - 0.50 - 0.75%
2. Avoid Using the Flavors in the WRONG applications
In order for the flavorings to work, they need to be used in the correct applications. IF used in the incorrect applications, you likely will not experience any flavor in the product.
Oil Soluble Flavors Are Best Used In:
- Hard Candies
- Baked Goods
- Ice cream
- Salad Dressings
- Lip Balms
- Lip Gloss
Water Soluble Flavors Are Best Use In:
- Beverages: tea, smoothies, spirits, beer, wine, sparkling water, wine and coffee.
- Baked Goods
- Condiments. Candy centers. Vinegar. Jam and jellies.